I have been having a bit of a hankering for porridge – it’s cold and winter, after all. But I’m one of these people who, after having oats, has a blood sugar plummet within an hour – even with a decent hit of protein powder added which should help stabilise my blood sugars and keep me full.
So over the last few years I’ve been having some porridge alternatives. Here’s five that I have found to be quite delicious that I mentioned on our Fitter Radio podcast.
(PS Have loads more like this (and completely different ones!) – sign up to my monthly meal plans and online nutrition coaching to get plans, recipes, shopping lists and access to my brain through a messaging service, emails and a Facebook member’s page 🙂 )
- Flaxseed chia porridge: good fats, good protein and will keep you full
2. Banana chai porridge: a nice spicy sweet start to the day (you won’t notice the cauliflower)
3. Almond butter porridge: grain free and filling
4. Lewis’ chia porridge: fuelling an endurance athlete who has type 1 diabetes since ages ago
5. Walnut chia porridge: seriously delicious, you won’t be missing oats with this one